Saturday, May 08, 2010

The teal balloons were released into the air....

...just as the "Motherwalk" for Ovarian cancer got started.

I didn't have my camera with me so I snapped a few shots with my cell phone...thus the fuzziness.

It was a clear, sunny, and slightly chilly morning here in Birmingham as I walked with my friend and Ovarian cancer survivor, Sherri. We walked three miles in hopes of raising some much needed money for Ovarian cancer research. I couldn't help but notice the difference in this walk and the breast cancer walks that I have participated in. I am hopeful that the organization will strengthen and that the number of participants will increase more and more as the years go by.

Because it is referred to as the "silent killer", our race day t-shirts said: "LISTEN....it whispers"...As women, it is important that we get this message out to others. Let's hope that further research will change those symptoms from whispers to shouts!